Areas of Interest

Friday, August 29, 2014

Our Roadblocks

The photo excerpts are from a book I have been reading for quite some time. It is called God and the Gay Christian and is authored by Matthew Vines. I know for a fact that a lot of people endure the same struggle as the author's friend. The last sentence speaks volumes. Stephen was crippled for as long as he embraced his stance. He could not go back in time and save his happiness. I think about how many times in life we run away from what we really want, and we can't get it back once we realize our follies... By then it is gone. Many times in life we are our own roadblocks. In the case of Stephen and his best friend, they fell in love. It could have been a beautiful relationship, two men who valued and expressed emotional and physical love for each other. Stephen's own description is heartbreaking... "It was like being told to paint a picture, then having my eyes removed, or being filled with a passion to play piano, then having my hands removed." He admitted the love was there within him but that he couldn't express it in the way he wanted to because of this roadblock and fear. There is a large undercurrent striving to change the "traditional" interpretation of the Bible, but change is never fast or easy. I hope I live to see the day where the content and depth of a relationship matters more than the genders do. People should be valued for their character rather than be held to one group's (and, in my opinion, inaccurate) interpretation of a highly revered religious text.

No comments: