Many people are addicted to something. Addicted to work, alcohol, sweets, drugs, food, drama, exercise, narcissism... what's your addiction?
My primary addiction is food. It's a tough thing to avoid since it is something we must have to survive. I've been in a battle with food since I was a kid. I struggle to have self-control when it comes to anything that truly pleases my palate. It could be cheese, sweets, bread, popcorn... ANYTHING that is tasty. I've been overweight for years, which I am not proud of, yet I haven't managed to lose the weight and keep it off because I haven't managed to keep my eating in check. I constantly think about this problem and believe that awareness is one of the first steps toward facing and dealing with the issue.
Another thing to consider is WHAT the addiction is taking the place of or covering up. What is it numbing us against? Brené Brown talks about numbing behaviors in her book "The Gifts of Imperfection" and cautions readers against engaging in behaviors that numb us from our emotions. She claims that numbing negative emotions also numbs the positive emotions in our lives. It's definitely something to think about... to think about what life changes or mental/emotional changes we need to make to be happy and not resort to numbing behaviors. Food for thought!
So... what's your addiction?
1 comment:
Food. It used to make me crazy but now it simply annoys.
Post a Comment