Below are two excerpts from a book I'm reading entitled "Taking a Chance on God". I will not comment further on the passages, but I encourage you to reflect upon them.
"Beyond the issue of anger at the church, for many gay people, there is also the issue of anger at God. Since we do not usually choose our sexual orientation, we experience it as a given, an objective fact that is part of God's creation. Insofar as our experience of our sexual orientation is negative, as long as we see it as sinful, sick, or evil, we experience a deep crisis in our relationship with God and real anger at God. Only a sadistic God would create millions of humans as gay with no choice in the matter and no hope of changing and then deny them the right to express their gayness in a loving relationship for the rest of their lives under threat of eternal damnation."
"Once again, the only way to forgive someone we see as having wounded us is to heal the wound. We gay people must risk believing that God is not homophobic even though the human church is. We must learn to accept our gayness as a gift from God and live it out joyfully in a way that is compatible with God's law. In that process of self-acceptance and in our new awareness of God's love for us, we can then let go of our anger."
1 comment:
Your plans for the summer look great. No weekday alarms. And I still wish I could see a picture of you in the dunk booth at school but that's beside the point.
If you want to see how Native American communities have thought of people who are gay look up the words "two spirit." They were treated as special human beings. We need to get back to that.
If you get here by July 12 we are planning to go to Ren Faire. That would be fun to take you there since I only got to take Rachel the one year. I think she really loved it but not sure if you ever got a chance to go.
I LOVE YOU,
Mom
Post a Comment