Areas of Interest

Saturday, May 24, 2014

Aujourd'hui

Today has been a good one. :-) It was a day of relaxation and pampering that included shopping for summer bottoms, shoes, the salon, froyo, dinner, and watching TV. There's been a lot on my mind today about my future and a wee bit about my past. Taking some time for personal reflection is positive. I need badly to do some journaling but haven't felt up to it. There are poems brewing in my head, so it may not be much longer before they need to escape! I am contemplating what my future may hold and if that future will happen here in Houston or in a land I have yet to explore and visit. I plan to stay put for at least one more year, but after that... who knows? I was planning on going to the drive-in movies tonight, but I stayed out later with my day plans than anticipated and ran out of time to go. I might go tomorrow since Monday is a holiday (no work!) but am yet undecided.

I heard the song "Chasing Cars" by Snow Patrol, which I haven't heard in a really long time. That got my brain going in a different direction. Anyway, I read an interesting article from 2012 about Ellen DeGeneres and her coming out experience. I remember watching her show growing up and loving it so much. I think this article is worth sharing. Here's the article with a short video and a snippet of the article.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In the "20/20" interview, DeGeneres said she was willing to risk people knowing.
"I decided this was not going to be something that I was going to live the rest of my life being ashamed of," she said.
She said she came out on the show for the teenagers who contemplate suicide when they realize they're gay -- and for the young, confused girl she once was.
"I do like men and I had, you know, a guy in high school that I wanted to marry desperately," she said. "He's the mayor of some small town in Texas. I could be the mayor's wife right now."
DeGeneres said she told her mother, Betty -- who appeared briefly in that April 1997 episode -- when she was 20. It was the summer of 1978 and they were in Pass Christian, Miss., visiting her aunt's house.
"We were walking along the beach and -- with our pants rolled up and barefoot -- and the water was coming in," DeGeneres said. "I said: 'I'm in love.' And she says: 'That's great.' And I said: 'It's with a woman.'"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
<3 KMS

5 comments:

Amber | Fumbling Towards FI said...

I love Ellen.

Schu said...

So do I. She is a really complex person and seems to get away with hiding behind her humorous exterior. After watching that short video from the interview, it's obvious how emotional and deep-feeling she is about the issue (as many of us are). She has made being gay into something that's not socially horrendous and that's actually accepted. I don't feel like she's making it a cause to die on a hill about; rather, I feel she keeps it more personal. Or as personal as one can make anything while being a celebrity.

Anonymous said...

Ellen is the best. She's vulnerable and funny at the same time. She is so real. Mom

Schu said...

She really is "real". It's hard to find people like that who are willing to be themselves regardless of what other people "might" think... when in reality, those "other people" don't even matter.

Anonymous said...

You are so right. Those others don't usually matter at all. Mom