The Summer Day by Mary Oliver
Who made the world?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?
Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean-
the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down-
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?
Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean-
the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down-
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday one of our pride band members unearthed our last concert and put it on YouTube. With the loss of our director about a month ago, people weren't sure if we would be able to find the recording, but it was found and voiced over top of the video recording. The piece I conducted, "Women of the Podium", can be watched/listened to here. I was excited and honored (and a bit scared too) when Skip asked me to conduct the piece at the women-themed concert. I smiled watching the video and seeing him playing flute. Miss him.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I got to spend two sizable chunks of my day with a friend who means a lot to me yesterday. We had the chance to sit down and just talk and just "be". We had the chance to interact and enjoy each other's company with patience and joy and had the chance to both listen and talk. We tossed around a lot of ideas about life, what happens after we die, and morality. (I found an interesting writing about why this author believes Hell does not exist.) We also talked about silly and goofy things and had the chance to just laugh. I miss this friend a lot and hope we can keep in touch, even when it's difficult sometimes. Maybe someday we can listen to Prokofiev's Piano Concerto No. 1 and see some stars. :-)
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I leave you with some words by Walt Whitman. This is from the preface of Leaves of Grass:
This is what you shall do
“This is what you shall do; Love the earth and sun and the animals, despise riches, give alms to every one that asks, stand up for the stupid and crazy, devote your income and labor to others, hate tyrants, argue not concerning God, have patience and indulgence toward the people, take off your hat to nothing known or unknown or to any man or number of men, go freely with powerful uneducated persons and with the young and with the mothers of families, read these leaves in the open air every season of every year of your life, re-examine all you have been told at school or church or in any book, dismiss whatever insults your own soul, and your very flesh shall be a great poem and have the richest fluency not only in its words but in the silent lines of its lips and face and between the lashes of your eyes and in every motion and joint of your body.”Walt Whitman
<3 KMS
5 comments:
Is Skip the left-most flute player? I don't know anything much about bands, but I do love marches! Who wrote this one? I've got Sousa marches on tape and used to walk around and around the park listening to that tape.
Yes Nancy. That's him. I love Sousa marches and marches in general, though many band people tire of the Sousa marches after having played them so much. (I still get giddy when I play Sousa anything!) The Women of the Podium March was written by Virginia Allen. :-)
I carried Leaves of Grass with me everywhere as a teenager. I still have an old copy here somewhere. I don't know why I stopped reading Whitman. I enjoyed watching you conduct Pride Band and glad your friend was there. I know you must miss him a lot. I'm glad you have such memories of him to gaze upon. The place of deep thinking seems to be good for you. Keep going. Keep thinking. I can't answer all of Miss Oliver's questions.
I am so glad you have a friend to talk to, who you can just "be" with. That's a great thing. I love you. Mom
I am going to read Leaves of Grass. I haven't read it before! Walt Whitman was a famous UU. I'm glad you enjoyed the recording. It's neat to have a video where I'm directing grown ups... hehehe! It is really weird without Skip being at rehearsal, but his life held so much deep pain.
First UU is an amazing place, and I'm glad I took the plunge to discover it before. I'm making acquaintances there now, which is neat. I can't answer all of the questions in Oliver's reading either, but I'm okay with that.
Love you!!
Love you too. Some of his poems are scary long but he had something to say that spoke to me back in the day.
Post a Comment