Areas of Interest

Thursday, July 10, 2014

Lake Fort Smith State Park

Today started early and comfortably cool. The birds were chirping and the neighbor's grandson was shouting. After getting ready for the day, I headed out with my GPS guiding me. My GPS took me to the wrong place, and I had some scary, steep gravel roads to encounter. Luckily I was able to figure out where I was going by using a map because phone service is very sketchy here. I arrived much later than planned but still was able to rent a kayak.

I paddled pretty far into the ginormous lake, stopping occasionally to rest and listen to the sounds of the water and nature. I love the sound of paddles dipping into the water! Steering a kayak with paddles only can be tough with wind, but it was fun reminding myself how to do it. It's been three years since I last kayaked... Also known as too long.

I noticed the skies were growing cloudy and gray, though the forecast hadn't projected rain for another 3 hours. I started paddling with fervor back. I felt drops of rain begin as I was halfway there, but it was very light. I got back to the dock area and decided to keep going for awhile longer. I felt safer being near the marina. The rain stopped and I got another 15 minutes in before I heard distant rumbles of thunder. The second I heard thunder, I paddled quickly to the dock and into the kayak slip. As I was docking, the heavens opened up and it began to pour. What timing! Unfortunately it's been thunderstorming and raining all day. It lightened up a couple of times but otherwise has been continuous. I had two leaks in my tent that were due to improper setup/adjustments. When the rain lightened, I was able to get out and fix the problems.

To pass the time, I drove a ways to Academy and Target, read a book, watched Netflix, and am blogging. I even took a nap! I wish I could've been out hiking all day with no rain, but I'm hoping to have that luxury on my last full day here tomorrow. I want to check out the hiking trails at the park I went to today and want to check out a hike at a nearby lake. :-)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great blogging. You write with such detail I feel like I am standing there watching what is going on. Lauren Bailey

Schu said...

Thank you Lauren!

Rachie said...

That's so badass! I hope we live near each other someday and you can teach me to kayak.

P.S. Bob's Burgers wins :D

Schu said...

Kayaking is really easy. And lots of fun. Pre-wedding kayaking in 2015? Hehehe! I LOVE Bob's Burgers. Just finished the 3rd season on Netflix.

Nancy said...

Kayaking Woman! What's next? Cliff scaling? Scuba diving? I can hardly wait!

Schu said...

Lol!

Anonymous said...

You do have a way with writing AND with picture taking. I love it! And you are so adventurous. MOM