Today is my last full day here in Arkansas. I got up early and went on a breakfast hike in Lake Fort Smith State Park (where I kayaked yesterday morning). I went on the Ozark Highland Trail. The western terminus happens to be in the state park. Crazy enough, this trail is 196 miles long!!! I might have hiked a couple of miles... Can't imagine doing the whole thing, though I'm confident there are people who have done it all. This trail was more rugged than the others I've explored these last couple of days. Lots of elevation change and an unpredictable trail floor with lots of random rock and exposed root systems. I was the first person to go through today, as I could tell by the large number of spider webs I crossed through. At one point, something caught my eye. I looked to the left a little ways away and saw a large doe sitting behind a tree. I walked softly and tried to avoid eye contact, though she was such a beautiful creature. She remained exactly where she was, and I continued swiftly, yet quietly on my way. It was a moment of mutual respect and creature-to-creature understanding. It was beautiful. As I continued, I saw two other deer leap across the path a ways ahead of me, and they watched with concern until I passed them up. The trail was enjoyable, with Lake Fort Smith to my right through the foliage. I spent about 1 1/2 hours on the trail before returning in the heat of the day.
Check out my next post to see the other hike I went on after this one! :-)
1 comment:
I wonder how often someone goes the nearly 200 miles? Your pictures are beautiful. I borrowed one that reminds me of West Virginia. :^)
Post a Comment