Areas of Interest

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Lost Valley Trail

Two blog posts today reflect the 2 hikes today. Please scope out the Devil's Den post too. Thanks! 


I drove to a land far far away for an afternoon hike: The Lost Valley Trail in Buffalo National River. Here I faced one of the most challenging and determined moments yet. The hike had a LOT of change in elevation. It was up, up, up. I saw some awesome views along the way. There were 2 caves and a waterfall on the hike. The first cave I saw had a number of people coming out. They were wet, dirty, and walking with their tennis shoes through a stream that came out of the mouth of the cave. The ground was wet, the rocks were worn from foot traffic and elements, and EVERYTHING was slick. I was wearing hiking boots and had no desire to get my feet soaking wet before hiking miles back. There were only two ways in. One was a leap from slippery rock to slippery rock over the stream, and the other way was a tight squeeze around a corner of cave wall. I tried to figure out a way across but was too scared to jump over the gap. It was too wide with unsure footing. I decided to try the other path. I was able to find some protruding rock to use as handles and upped my bravery level. I managed to get in.

Next I navigated myself with the assistance of a flashlight to the back of the cave mouth. It was tricky with the stream and rocks everywhere. You had to keep your footing despite the wet ground below and some loose rocks. I was wearing my backpack and quickly discovered I wouldn't be able to get into the "waterfall room" with it. I would have had to crawl through rock and wet muck in shorts, so I decided to forego that part. I was disappointed because I drove so far to get there.

I turned back to leave the cave and had to navigate back through the stream and wet rock. A man (upper 40s) and his son (maybe 9) were trying to cross back over to leave. The man went first and jumped over the stream from rock to rock. Then, he slid backward and fell 10 feet or so into the stream after hitting the large rock. He was hurt but let his pride get in the way. I needed to get out of the cave and was even more scared seeing the man get hurt. I had a tough time getting out the way I came, but it was the only way. I clutched the rock with my hands, froze in terror and panic, and somehow pulled myself around the rock wall. After I was done panicking about what had just happened, I felt exhilarated because I accomplished something that scared me. I also got pretty muddy in there!

After that experience, I went and saw the Eureka Falls, which was a pretty waterfall, and then explored Cobb Cave, which was a huge bluff with lots of rock. It was like a canyon with a rock lid. I spent about 2 hours exploring the park and have my friend Brad to thank for the recommendation.

On the way out, I saw the man who fell and asked how he was doing. He said he thinks he broke his ankle. It was pretty swollen. I offered him a bag of ice from my cooler, but he politely refused. Go figure!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm glad you didn't get hurt and that the man you saw hurt himself got out okay. It sounds like a spectacular and scary adventure. I love the pictures you included. I'd tell you to be really careful but I suspect you are trying to be already. :*)

Mom

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm glad you didn't get hurt and that the man you saw hurt himself got out okay. It sounds like a spectacular and scary adventure. I love the pictures you included. I'd tell you to be really careful but I suspect you are trying to be already. :*)

Mom

Nancy said...

Hiking Woman! What new trails will you conquer now? I wait with breathless anticipation.

Schu said...

I'm trying to be careful! It's definitely adventurous and fun to be here. Even I don't know what the next day will bring. I'm grateful to have this opportunity.

Anonymous said...

Your pics are somewhat hilarious too.