Areas of Interest

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Computer Hell

That's where I've been all day... In June, my computer decided it no longer wanted to download Windows updates. I am not sure if it has anything to do with a program I downloaded, or if my anti-virus software was preventing the updates from downloading and configuring. I spent a lot of time researching over the last week, and tried every possible solution today. Nothing worked! I even uninstalled my anti virus software from my computer, and that did not help at all. I was pretty frustrated and decided to be crazy and reformat my computer. I used three DVD's to save all of my personal documents and media, and have spent the last 2 hours waiting for the reformatting process to finish. Toshiba doesn't use discs to reformat... Rather, it has a partition built into the computer that basically does system restore by itself. Now that the reformat is done, my computer is downloading 136 updates from Windows. I am crossing my fingers that it goes smoothly from here on out. I'm very disappointed that most of my day has been ruined by this boring process and frustration, but hopefully the problem is fixed and allows my future endeavors on this computer to go smoothly.

4 comments:

MOM said...

I reformatted 2 computers in the last 2 months. After all the windows updates are installed go back over and over and check for more because I kept finding more.

It was likely that it is related to a glitch in which your antivirus turns off Windows Defender and it can't update so it says na na na boo boo neither can the whole computer. So make sure that you run Windows Defender ONCE and update the hell out of it.

Love you

Schu said...

Yep, I've checked for updates several times and have gotten a few more too. Just glad they're behaving now! It might have been AVG, which sucks because I had the paid version... But I'm not willing to go through hell again, so I downloaded a different company's free anti-virus because reviews we better than AVG free.

How have you been doing this week? Love you!

MOM said...

I hear you about AVG ... I don't like them anymore so it's only on my cell phone.

We use Outpost Security by Agnitum - if you register it for free it has an updatable malware scanner along with the antivirus.

Schu said...

Glad you found a good alternate program. I downloaded avast, which appears to be doing a good job so far. Haven't had anymore problems with Windows Updates, so that's good. Still not sure if it was the antivirus or not though, because when I uninstalled AVG, the problem persisted.