Areas of Interest

Monday, August 5, 2013

The Imperfect Tree


I am not perfect, and I never will be. That's quite alright with me! Making progress in some form or another is what motivates me. After breakfast this morning, I decided to do another episode of Shanti Generation Yoga on my happy new yoga mat, which has GREAT gripping qualities by the way. Today's Netflix episode was #1, "Creating Happiness", and went through a number of poses, some of which were

  • Warrior poses 1 &2
  • Child's pose (my favorite relaxed pose)
  • Downward facing dog pose (my favorite active pose)
  • Mountain pose
  • Eagle pose
  • Boat pose
  • Butterfly pose
  • Tree pose... and more!
The tree pose has always been a challenge for me because you are balancing all 200-something pounds of yourself on a dinky twig of a foot. (And I've got a lotta trunk as you can see in the picture!) Today I accomplished a NSV (non-scale victory) because I was able to do the tree pose on both sides (left foot and right foot) without faltering, falling, or holding on to anything. I had my roots centered and planted in the earth. :-) :-) :-) This reminded me that my future, my ability to balance the parts of my life, and my ability to change myself all rests on me. 

3 comments:

Mom said...

We are both posting about trees today although very different types of course. My balance is very poor. It's why I sent you the Wii which also might be helpful if you choose to use it.
Love you!

Schu said...

True--that's a funny coincidence. Saw the pictures on your FB of the removal. Looks like a lot of hard work. Poor tree. I am probably going to reconnect my Wii in the next couple of wiiks (haha).

Mom said...

Wii ch is good